UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
- Proactively lead and/or participate in inter-agency fora to ensure that UNHCR¿s Mandate and programmes are given due attention and reflected in linkage at the country level, bureaux and at the policy levels of humanitarian and development coordination systems.
- Contribute or lead the effective establishment and maintenance of coordination mechanisms for the shelter and settlement, WASH, Energy and Environment technical sectors
- In line with the refugee coordination model and globally-agreed arrangements ensure timely and effective sectoral technical needs assessment, appropriate planning, prioritization, implementation, reporting and evaluation.
- Contribute to joint appeals, regional refugee response plans, regional refugee and migrant response plans, refugee and resilience plans, comprehensive responses.
- Approve project designing including preparation of BOQs/specifications and costing, carry out and provide recommendations, plan of action and verify compliance in the implementation for these technical sectors.
- Coordinate internally and externally the technical interventions and ensure compliance with technical standards.
- Lead actively technical interagency working groups and ensure constructive and amicable relationships with government and partners.
- Ensure environmental considerations are taken into account for all the technical interventions planned and implemented in settlement, shelter, wash and energy programmes.
- Promote the sustainability of technical interventions through local capacity building and self-help in collaboration with partners in the field. Ensure and lead community consultations
- Guide and oversee the procurement of sector related materials or equipment, including the development of technical specifications for bid documents, technical evaluation of bids, review/inspection of the quality of products/works.
- Ensure regular reporting and updating of plans.
- Build key strategic partnerships with development and humanitarian agencies in relation to WASH and other community based infrastructure interventions.
- Lead cross-functional preparation of issues and follow-up within UNHCR in the relevant substantive units and services.
- Ensure comprehensive monitoring of technical related activities is in place.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P4/NOD – 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
- Civil-Engineering, Water and Sanitation Engineering Public Health Engineering