The Aga Khan University is a private, autonomous university that promotes human welfare through research, teaching and community service initiatives. Based on the principles of quality, access, impact and relevance, the University has campuses and programmes in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, the United Kingdom, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Its facilities include teaching hospitals, Faculties of Health Sciences with Schools of Nursing and Midwifery and Medical Colleges, Institutes for Educational Development, an Examination Board and an Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations. The Graduate School of Media and Communications, the East African Institute, the Institute for Human Development and the Kiswahili Centre have been launched recently while several Graduate Professional Schools and Faculties of Arts and Sciences are to be set up in Pakistan and East Africa. Through its needs-blind admissions policy, the University imbues the most promising leaders and thinkers of tomorrow with an ethic of service and the skills to help communities solve their most pressing challenges. The Aga Khan University is one of nine agencies in the Aga Khan Development Network.
Reporting to the University Registrar, the incumbent will develop short- and medium-term plans for the department; be responsible for their implementation; oversee the operations of the functional area through a team and will review and resolve policy issues and make decisions subject to policies, broad practices, and procedures. S/he will be responsible for driving the achievement of organizational objectives by identifying opportunities for growth and learning while fostering a high-performance culture.
The incumbent will serve as a member of the East Africa Executive Committee and be accountable to the Vice Provost for specific tasks assigned in consultation with/information of the University Registrar.
The position holder will be required to:
- Develop short- and medium-term plans for the department in line with the strategic plan of the University in Kenya.
- Oversee and manage the smooth functioning of registrarial services for the University in Kenya
- Lead, direct, manage and oversee the process of student recruitment and admissions
- Provide support to academic programs and registry functions including working with the University Registrar to lead the planning and execution of Convocation ceremonies in Kenya
- Maintain current knowledge of university academic regulations in order to recommend revisions to existing practices and assist members of the University community in the interpretation of regulations for purposes of AKU’s academic quality assurance and statutory compliance
- Manage the recruitment, retention, and development of employees in the Department
The ideal candidate will:
- possess a PhD or equivalent. Candidates pursuing a PhD may also apply
- have at least 5 years of relevant professional experience/transferable skills including 3 to 4 years in a leadership role.
- have proven experience of planning, directing, and supervising in a large, multi-centre organization.
- have experience of working within the East African higher education system.
- have experience working with ERP software; PeopleSoft Campus Solutions would be an asset
- have the previous working within the structures of regulatory and professional accreditation bodies
- be proficient in written and oral English with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, a diverse population.
- have the ability to work in an atmosphere of collegial decision-making; demonstrate consensus-building skills, and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Have a proven record of administrative and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet conflicting deadlines in a timely fashion and with accuracy.
Submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application
Use the title of the position as the subject of the email