Indigenous Kenyans were barred by law from growing tea until the dawn of independence when the legislation was repealed for the indigenous people to commence on tea growing. In 1960, the colonial government created the Special Crops Development Authority (SCDA) to promote growing of tea by Africans under the auspices of the ministry of Agriculture. After Independence , Kenya Tea Development Authority was formed through legal notice No.42 of 1964 and took over the liabilities and functions of the SCDA to promote and foster the growing of tea in small farms, which were previously said to be unviable in view of the expertise and costs required, as witnessed in the plantation sector. Since then the growing of tea by the small-scale sub-sector in Kenya has carved a niche for itself in the global tea trade. Kenya Tea Development Agency Limited was incorporated on 15th June 2000 as a private company under (CAP 486) of the laws of Kenya, becoming one of the largest private tea management agencies. The Agency currently manages 67 factories in the small-scale tea sub-sector in Kenya
Reporting to the General Manager, KTDA Power Company, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating implementation of the KTPC and Regional Power Companies functions and oversee smooth operations of their services.
- Project management services and coordinating consultancy services
- Ensuring maximum plant availability.
- Coordinating the power development roll out and overall business development initiatives
- Coordinating tender action process and procurement of services
- Ensuring payments to Contractors and Consultants are made.
- Assisting the General Manager in establishing and managing the operations of KTPC
- Ensuring smooth operations of the power stations;
- Reviewing feasibility studies, project reports, tender documents, tender reports, contract documents, etc.
- Ensuring the projects are developed to high standards and operated within the environmental and regulatory frameworks
- Ensuring that staff are properly trained
- Planning, implementing and coordinating delivery strategies for the power project roll out plan;
- Participating in the formulation and review of company plans and policies;
- Liaison between the Management and Consultancy Units of KTPC;
- Participating in procurement of company services
- Supervising, appraising staff and identifying their development and training needs;
- Preparing Board papers, Management and projects status reports
The ideal candidates must possess the following qualifications, experience and competencies: –
- Bachelor of science degree Mechanical Engineering.
- A post graduate diploma in a business related field;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience, 4 of which should be at a senior level;
- Be registered by the Engineering Board;
- Must have demonstrated ability to handle departmental budgets, resources, processes, projects and relationships
- Should have thorough knowledge of the relevant industry/sector as well as knowledge of regulatory requirements affecting the relevant sector
- Must have ability to plan, organize, implement and evaluate company’s goals
- Must demonstrate ability to handle multiple and conflicting priorities, and work under strict deadlines.
- Should have strong analytical skills and be result oriented
- Must have high standards of integrity and ethical practice
- Must be capable of functioning effectively both as a team player and a team leader
- Must have management and Leadership skills
- Must have ability to accurately plan work assignments, prioritize tasks and deliver deadlines
- Should have problem solving and decision making abilities
- Should be an effective communicator with the ability to handle both internal and external communication
- Should demonstrate ability to identify and respond to risk areas within the company
- Should have effective people management and conflict resolution skills
- Must have knowledge in use of MS office packages and other engineering software