The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaounde, Cameroo
Duties and responsibilities
- Establish and lead a high performing multidisciplinary team of 20+ across multiple countries
- Develop, review, and oversee the implementation and delivery of the FACT dialogue project strategic plans, including the FACT Dialogue Work Plan, the Secretariat Delivery Plan, and deploy sound procedures for improvement of strategies to support FACT Dialogue Roadmap implementation
- Build and enhance strategic partnerships, as well as ensure the FACT dialogue’s visibility and competitive position within relevant sectors towards delivery and impact
- Serve as the spokesperson of the FACT Dialogue Secretariat internally and externally, including speaking on behalf of the Secretariat in FACT Dialogue meetings, external events and to the media
- Responsible for strategic and operational for FACT Dialogue staff, finances, and systems that support growth of programs and ensure efficiencies.
- Establish effective systems to track and evaluate FACT Dialogue performance and provide direction to ensure the institutional viability, financial and operational efficiency
- Work with the comms team to establish robust processes to proactively manage overall mass communication with countries on plans, events and logistics as well as actively manage and respond to requests coming from countries on the dialogue.
- Work with the UK on coordinating meetings, questions and decisions with the FACT co-chair and assisting with substantive policy discussions with countries when required.
- Mobilize and leverage the power of relationships and networks across both public and private sectors to elevate Fact Dialogue impact and brand.
- In coordination with staff, design and roll out fundraising strategies to and pursue new revenue streams for FACT Dialogue.
Risk Management and Governance
- Ensure that FACT Dialogue reliably achieves its objectives, addresses ambiguity, acts with integrity in line with policies and processes
- Identify and mitigate or exploit risks that could hinder or benefit CIFOR-ICRAF in achieving its objectives.
- Responsible for own occupational health and safety and that of others as obliged by CIFOR-ICRAF’s Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree in relevant field with more than 7 years’ experience at leadership level in a similar, or aligned, organization, preferably in the domain of deforestation, climate change or forest and agriculture-based commodities. Candidate with PhD degree would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of rural development, political economy, land use change, social inclusion, and equity, and/or environmental issues is advantageous.
- An understanding of the work of the FACT Dialogue would be an advantage
- Excellent project management skills experience. Holding a recognised Project/Programme Management qualification
- Experience in strategic and day to day management of a high-level Secretariat including staff, office and budget, ensuring timely donor reporting
- Extensive experience leading multistakeholder and/or government to governments negotiations and build bridges and find consensus between diverging governmental / political interests
- Experience in inspiring and motivating multiple stakeholders with diverse need and interests.
- Experience in coordination with multi-agency, or multi governments forums, preferably at a high policy level
- Extensive experience of successfully building and leading large diverse teams
- A strong track record of setting up and delivering value for money high quality climate change programs.
- Experience in leading and delivering a complex and high-performing process with a culture of enabling and empowering people from different policy, governments and NGO’s background.
- Excellent English language skills. Working knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia, Portuguese, Spanish and/or French would be an advantage
Personal attributes and competencies
- Strong analytical and strategic acumen
- An understanding and commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and team-working skills, with a proven ability to motivate, earn trust and enthuse whilst delegating appropriately to focus on strategic issues.
- Ability to define clear goals and inspire people to achieve them.
- Ambition and energy to pursue the plans for consolidation and operational delivery.